Wednesday, 24 July 2013

DIY updates

Here is what I did with the bedside cabinet that I found at the Car boot.

It was a little bit of a rush job to be honest as I needed to get it done as soon as possible as it was rather getting in the way. I was getting annoyed at looking at it....he....he....

This is what it originally looked like

This was what I did

First I gave it a mega sanding down, it had so much gloss paint on it.
Then I gave it a wash of watered down white paint to act as a primer.
After that I decided as it was going to get a lot of wear and tear that I would paint it with white satin gloss.
I wanted to keep the top plain as it gets a lot of wear and tear but I wanted to add a bit of interest to the cabinet. So off I popped to get a sample of paper from B & Q.
Once I put the paper on the drawers I gave them a couple of coats of matt varnish to protect it.
 
Last but not least I put on these white ceramic handles that I also got from B & Q at £1.98 each
Total cost was around £8.00



Next was the lamp

Here it is before 

And here it is after

Basically I just sanded it very slightly and gave it a base coat of white paint. While the paint was still wet I sprinkled sand all over it to give it some texture, I did this a few times. After letting it dry for some time I gave it a light spraying with white spray paint to seal the sand in, unfortunately the sand colour kept seeping through, it just looked rusty. Next I gave it quite a few coats of just plain white emulsion.
Lastly I painted it with a lilac match pot and put his plain cream shade on that I got for £4.00

Total cost for this project was £6.00 as I already had the white emulsion paint.





Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I love the bedside table! Such an amazing transformation! I used to do furniture a few years ago & can't wait to give it a go again! Ax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will hopefully look forward to seeing some on your blog sometime soon, I love seeing what people do with things like that xx

      Delete
  2. Very unusual design .... I have a few bits to paint but never got round to it with the good weather!
    ~Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've loved being outdoors and painting, a lot less stuffy xx

      Delete

So to all my lovely readers now and future, Thank you for taking the time to comment, I love reading them all xx